Friday, May 29, 2015

How do You Spell Spring...W-a-l-k-i-n-g



Spring is a glorious time of the year. To me, of the four seasons God promises we’ll always have, spring is the most beautiful.

From trees rousing from their winter slumber to hibernating animals doing the same. Spring radiates new life. This, of course, includes calving season, which is a part of life for us who live in cattle-country USA.

Spring is the time of year I awake from a personal winter-long-semi-hibernation and walk by a mirror. “Whatsat?” I say.  “It sure looks like a pudgy growth circling around my mid-section. Whatsit from, maybe it’s a fast growing tumor.”

Fortunately, it’s not a tumor, but it’s definitely “something” that has to go. Thanks to spring I have the ticket. It’s called walking.

Walking, I’m told, is one of the best exercises human’s have at their disposal, and it’s free. To walk, I don’t need a membership card or to use my debit card. I can walk whenever I want and, mostly, wherever I want. I can walk by myself, or with someone, and go as far and for as long as I desire.

So, if I encounter writers block, or happen to see my bank account and panic, I minimize my computer screen head outdoors and walk. When I’ve walked out whatever’s bugging me, I realize life is a pretty neat place to inhabit.

If I may brag for a thought or two, as I’m writing this I’m 70, and one of my spring and summer pleasures is walking the Monument. I live about 25 miles from a National Monument that towers over 800 feet into the clean, fresh, pollution-free air of western Nebraska.

Years ago, a winding path to the top of the monument was hewn into its steep slope. The trip to the top and back is slightly over three miles.

When winter ebbs into spring, I walk the path as if I didn’t have a care. I don’t walk it three times a week like I used to, or nearly as fast as I used to, but I walk it…nonstop.

What an experience. Step by step I walk over 800 feet into the sky, surrounded by the sandstone and sagebrush of a majestic God and His creation. After years of walking, I understand why He made it beneficial. Walking slows me down, even when I walk fast my mind slows down, which means less clutter. Then makes it’s possible to grasp more of Him.

To Him is the wonder and the beauty of spring, and when I walk, I go hand-in-hand with my Creator.

To Him is the glory for all He has done.





No comments: